Saturday, January 14, 2012

Isaiah 30:21--life is a choice...

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." 
Isaiah 30:21 (RSV)

Quilting (actually, piecing) has encouraged me to reflective thinking about life. Quilters have choices with the types of fabrics they choose, the colors they select, the shapes they cut, the design -- how they put it all together.  And, each choice results in distinct creations, sometimes very different from one another.  

The newest technique I discovered was a puzzle in and of itself.  The instructions said to sew squares together in four rows of six squares and add a border. But, it gave no suggestion as to what pattern arrangements would result in what kind of design.  Isn't life like that? Sometimes, the patterns of life just do not make sense...so we simply choose...


Then, with this handy, dandy little tool marked with a cross (hmmm...the Cross affects everything!), I cut smaller diamond shapes out of what had been sewed together.  The new creation came from twisting the diamond shapes into new rows of smaller squares, ending up with a pinwheel effect.


Now, my mathematical background made this a challenge for me.  I like symmetry, and this did not end up being symmetrical in the way I wanted.  Too much purple on one side.  Isn't life that way, sometimes?  Not balanced...


So, I began playing with the squares and changing the design in a variety of ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment